What Does a Roof Replacement Cost? (Homeowner's Guide to New Roofing)

February 16, 2022

Sharing is caring!

Roofs are essential parts of a home that require maintenance to enjoy the benefits for a long period. A roof, however, does not last indefinitely and should be changed if it is too old to prevent further damage to your home. Ignoring cracks or leaks in an old roof can lead to water damage and rotting behind the shingles, which can eventually cause your home's ceiling to collapse. Read on to learn about the cost of roof replacement and how to tell when you might need a new roof.

What does a roof replacement cost? Different factors affect the final cost of roof replacement, and in this article, we've put together a homeowner's guide to calculating the average cost of getting a new roof. Let's take a look.

The Average Cost of Roof Replacement

Roof replacement is one of the more expensive expenses you'll encounter as a homeowner. However, it is an investment in your property that will ensure that it remains in good condition for many years to come. A newly replaced roof should last anywhere from 30 to 100 years, depending on the type of roofing material installed.

According to Forbes Advisor, the average cost of replacing a roof is roughly $8,000, with most people spending between $5,500 and $11,000. The square footage of your property and the type of roofing material you choose are the two most important factors to consider. When you get a roof replacement quote from a roofing professional, around 60% of it will cover the roofing labor cost per square foot. The other 40% will provide the materials needed for the operation. Three factors will decide how much a new roof will cost you.

  • Materials: Roofing materials make up roughly 40% of the cost of a new roof, and they can cost anywhere from $100 to $1000 per square foot. However, this is dependent on the sort of roof you have put. Asphalt shingles are the most prevalent material due to their low cost. Using other varieties could end up costing you more money and result in a higher roof replacement cost.
  • Labor: Roofing labor costs range from $1.50 to $3.00 per square foot on average. The degree of the damage, the dismantling of old material, and weather conditions are all factors that can affect your roofing labor quote.
  • Removal of waste: The old roofing materials must be disposed of or repurposed after being removed.

How Much Should I Pay For A New Roof?

Considering the previously mentioned variables according to Forbes, the average cost of getting a new roof is $8,000. You shouldn't pay more than $11,000 on the high end, and the lowest price quote you will probably get is $5,500. However, please consider that if you are not getting an asphalt shingle roof, other materials can be much more costly.

Why Is Roofing So Expensive?

Roof installation can be expensive, and you may be wondering why. To understand why roofing is so costly, you must first recognize a few issues. Here are some of the major factors that contribute to the cost of roofing:

Size

Because more material is required to cover the space, the size of your roof will affect pricing. The price goes up because of the extra labor and materials required to install around chimneys and skylights.

Accessibility

The ease of access to the roof will be one of the first things your contractor considers. What is the number of stories in your house? Do they have to avoid any adjacent power lines or trees? These elements will increase the project's difficulty, which will increase its cost.

Safety

Roofers must take measures when working on roofs with slopes, as roofing is a dangerous activity. The cost of a steeper roof is higher. It is because roofers' jobs become more dangerous, necessitating the usage of protective gear.

Permits

To construct a new roof, you'll need to get building permits. It will always increase your costs, especially if you have a larger project that requires multiple permits.

Materials

The cost of shingles, equipment, gears, and other minor items should all be included in your estimate. In general, materials will account for around 40% of the total cost, with labor accounting for the remaining 60%.

new roof shingle replacement

Can I Replace The Roof Myself? 

Roofing is one of the riskiest occupations, so climbing on the roof to replace or even repair it is not recommended unless you are a professional roofer. These are some of the most typical problems you may encounter when replacing the roof yourself:

  • Safety issues, particularly with steep roofs or nearby power lines or trees.
  • Damaged wood in the structure and on the deck.
  • Use faulty materials for your slope, frame, or surroundings.
  • Insurance won’t cover any accidents that occur.

It is preferable to get your roof replaced by a professional. Roofing contractors will be able to help you choose the right product for your home, keep the job on track, and identify issues before they become major difficulties, all while adhering to all safety standards.

Will Roofing Prices Go Down?

No one knows, is the simple answer, but it's vital to understand that roofing prices have lately increased and are unlikely to decrease anytime soon. Roofing prices may fluctuate according to the season. Roofing materials, for example, will almost certainly cost more and will continue to do so as summer approaches. It's also worth mentioning that some materials, such as specific colors and styles from roofing manufacturers, may not be available. Other construction materials, such as plywood, nails, and insulation, may be in short supply at different seasons of the year. Another factor to consider is that labor is in limited supply. Installing a quality roof becomes more challenging as experienced workers and expert specialists grow scarce. Roofing costs can rise when the pay and bonuses required to attract and retain staff rise.

The solution is to start planning as soon as possible. Do your homework, and if you're dealing with a tight budget, it's best to employ a respected roofing firm and talk about how to get the materials you want while staying within your budget, as well as how to safeguard your contract price from unexpected price increases. 

Please call a professional for an inspection and estimate. Then, you can decide if roof replacement is right for you. Trust our experts at The Fort Wayne Roofers for 20+ years of expertise.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

In This Article:

Copyright © The Fort Wayne Roofers 2022
clock-omap-markerphoneenvelopecrosschevron-downchevron-down-circlechevron-right-circle
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram